Mar 1, 2011

Why I've Been Missing in Action

Image: http://www.psychologytoday.com/


Dear Reader,

I have an admission to make. Perhaps it will explain why my posts have been appearing with less frequency over the past few weeks.

My life is drastically different today from what it was two months ago and yet in so many ways it is still the same.
I have moved, I have changed environments, I engage with new people and I do different things.

Experiences engulf my being challenging every single faucet of my existence, fundamentals and belief.

So I think. But I need some time to formulate my thoughts and grow accustomed to my senses and surroundings.

I don't think I have changed. To quote someone famous: "I am myself. Just more so."

I will write.

Thank you for giving me the time I need.

And just before I let you go, I would like to share a joke with you from Dr. Bergers' class.
(Information required for understanding of the joke: Rabbeinu Gershom of the middle ages lived in Europe is referred to as Maor HaGola, the light of Diaspora. He instituted three Takanot, or prohibitions (only the first two are relevant in our conversation) 1) A man may not divorce his wife against her will, i.e. she must accept the get 2) prohibition against polygamy 3) prohibition against reading letters intended for others.

Joke:
Question: Why was Rabbeinu Gershom given the name Maor Hagola (Light of Diaspora)?
Answer: Because the Jews were depressed upon entering Christian lands that G-d had forsaken them. Rabbeinu Gershom said: do not worry, G-d cannot divorce a nation against its will.
Then they worried that G-d would take another "wife". Rabbeinu Gershom then prohibited for a man to take more than one wife. Thus, Rabbeinu Gershom brought light into darkness and became Maor HaGola.