Jul 28, 2011

Sarah's Key



There are times when going to movie theaters alone can be a powerful experience.
There is no one to be conscious of, no one to be considerate of, in a way, it is one of the most selfish things I have experienced recently.
After inviting a couple of friends to come with me to a movie about the Holocaust and being declined over and over. The most common excuse I heard was: I don't do movies in the three weeks.
Like hello, this is the Holocaust... you aren't going to come out feeling jolly or anything.

I really wanted to see the movie so I decided to go alone.
It was such an interesting experience. In a small and beautiful movie theater called the Paris theater, I sat alone and cried over the fate of French Jews who were delivered to the Nazis by their own neighboring Frenchmen.

The story of a girl who tried to save her brother, but failed, felt the guilt her entire lifetime, and eventually took her own life to rid herself of the tragedy she lived through.
The story of a woman searching for some meaning, for some recognition of the past and how that search changed her life and the life of a baby her husband wanted to abort.

A sad story, beautifully delivered through words and images.