Sep 12, 2010

Good Guys Get Apartments

I forgot. I probably blocked it out of my memory.
It came back to me today during a phone call with a friend.

I was trying to set her up with a family friend.
She asked me for information: his yeshivas, his seriousness in learning, human qualities, brain capacity, physical aspects. All seemed to be going well when she said: "By the way, my parents aren't buying an apartment."

It is an accepted custom in the Israeli Elite of Haredi society for parents of the bride to provide the young couple with an apartment upon their marriage.

I had totally forgotten about this rule until now. It sounded so old fashioned to me. Which idiot would go out only with girls who would give him an apartment? I reassured my friend that this is a normal guy and he for sure doesn't expect an apartment.

I called the person I was speaking with who spoke with the guy, because of course it is immodest and vulgar to speak with the guy on the phone directly. You know, terrible things can happen from hearing a girls' voice. No kidding. Anyhow, just to make sure, I ask if the apartment is an issue. IT IS.

That's all.