Nov 30, 2010

God Gives God Takes

Image: http://www.vaughnsphotoart.com/ 

My best friend lost her father today.
He was walking down the stairs, slipped, fell and died.
She got engaged a month ago and was a bride filled with happiness.
Now her father will not be able to walk her down the aisle.

As Iyov said after losing all that he had: "Hashem Natan, Hashem Lakach, Yehi Shem Hashem Mevorach."
G-d gave, and G-d took, may his name be blessed.

My dear friend, as the suffering is so tremendously immense that I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through. The pain of realizing that your father will never be present with you again. Not only today, not only tomorrow, but after Shiva ends, he still won't be back. And the pain of knowing that he won't be there when you get married to the wonderful young man you are engaged to, and the fact that he won't be able to sit on the couch in the beautiful house you are going to build and play with the kids you will birth. My darling, I am sorry. I am so sorry. I love you.

The pain of eternity seems too heavy a burden to carry for eternity is a concept we cannot grasp.
And your father steps into the eternal world which we are not a part of, I hope he is well.

I do not know what is worse? Knowing when death is at the doorstep and having time to prepare or being robbed so suddenly of the gift of life that we take for granted.
The grief of becoming an orphan from one minute to the next.
My love, you are adored by the world and we are here to share in your pain and loneliness.

I cry for you. We all cry for you. We cry with you. And we pray that G-d shall console you amongst all the mourners in Israel.