Dec 28, 2010

Snowy Days in New York City

There is almost nothing more pleasant than waking up on a Monday morning in New York City to find the entire city covered in a white blanket of snow, and find out that work is cancelled for the day. This is the type of thing that happens in movies, and yesterday it happened in real life.

Although I never had particular affections for snow before, something about the snow struck me as majestic and the adventurous child within me awoke and begged to set forth, to explore. Unable to resist my desires, I bundled up in many layers of sweaters, scarfs, hats, socks. I put on my warm boots. And when I thought I would not fit through the door anymore, I decided to go outside.

Stepping out cautiously into the white city, the sun blinded me. The color of the sky was so brilliantly clear, the weather so icy and cold. I started walking, or rather plowing through the snow. The streets were deserted. Stores were closed. I thought of what I must look like with all of those bundles covering me up.

I started laughing. Being outside, free, conquering the cold, being so bold—all of it made me so happy. I walked avenues until I found an open Starbucks. It was teeming with bold adventurers like myself who dared challenge the blizzard and stepped into the outdoors. Because we were all heroes, there was a tremendous sense of comradeship in the store, and despite the fact that there was only plain coffee available (only one person bothered to show up at work in Starbucks on that day), it was one of the most pleasant drinks I had in my entire life.

One of the cooler people this world has produced by the name of Adina Suberi captured the city in its most magnificent moments. She graciously allowed me to post them here.