Jan 6, 2011

Just Because He is The Cutest

Image: 
http://farm4.static.flickr.com

Don't get excited. This is not about the guy I am dating. It is about my brother. 
Some things are arguable and some things are not because they are objectively true. 
One of those facts is that my brother is the cutest creation on earth. 
He is only ten years years old but is extremely smart and has an amazing sense of humor. 
He keeps me laughing for hours on end. 
Last night he was looking at my YuConnects profile (don't ask why, it's a long story), and he asked my mother in pure astonishment: Tanya is Machmir?! (Modern Orthodox Machmir)
Well, in line with my parents philosophy of diverse and versatile education, he was shipped (actually flown) into Bnei Brak to learn in a new environment. He went with my other younger brother, who is also absolutely phenomenal by the way, but I'll write about him another time. 

This brother of mine wrote an article about his experiences... Share your thoughts and comments. 

My name is Ariel, and I am ten years old. Last month, my parents sent me to learn in Bnei Brak for a month. They sent me to live with close friends on Tzanz Street right across the street from a shul and a yeshiva.
Before I actually went on the plane, I would like to tell you about my emotional state at that time. I was quite scared to go, I was afraid first of all to be apart from my parents and would miss them too much. I was also concerned that the boys in the school would be unwelcoming, and indifferent to me. I did not want to break down, but I knew that it was important that I  make some friends.
My parents tried to encourage me that it would be so good for my learning, I would learn to speak Hebrew with an Israeli accent, and I would make new friends. It did not help my condition. But I had no choice, and off I went to greet my new adventure.
When I arrived in a taxi , I carried my bags up the three flights of stairs and The mother of the house welcomed me with warm words. She had been warned of my fears by my mother, so she took special care to be extra nice to me. Because of Chanukah, the school was closed for a few days for Chanukah vacation, so we arranged for my new rebbe to learn with me during vacation and prepare me for the gemara that the class was learning. This turned out to be a wonderful thing, because by the time school started three days later, I knew the gemara quite well, and the rebbe knew me and I really liked him. He helped me so much, by informing all the children to welcome me, a boy from Moscow who came to Israel to Learn Torah. I just want to add a word about this rebbe. He really surprised me. Although there were 38 children in my class, and my rebbe has a big family of his own, he offered to come over to my house on Shabbos to learn with me extra. I was amazed at his readiness to give me so much attention and with incredible patience. For example, when a child did not know the correct answer to a question, he would go along to the next boy. But if I would be the boy who did not know the correct answer, he would patiently say the answer and have me repeat it. The other boys were not only not jealous, but they even praised me and said how the rebbe likes me. All their kindnesses to me made me feel a bit uncomfortable, because somehow I did not feel deserving. I wondered how I would act in their place.
Baruch Hashem, the month passed quite fast, and I indeed made many nice friends. I was invited to a different friend almost each day, and we played soccer and a game called ga-ga ball. There was one boy who I really got friendly with and I certain similaritites with him. He had also come from a different city (Yerushalayim), and he had a computer in his house, which made me feel at home. Only I knew that he had the computer. His parents and siblings always made me feel very welcome.
I would just like to end my article with a few things I learned about living in Bnei Brak. Although it is much different than Moscow, there are certain things that I found very inspiring. For example, a few of the boys in my class were so serious about their learning. They would ask questions on each tiny detail in the gemara and would listen to the answers with very great intent. Compared to my class in Russia, where there are only seven boys, it was a very interesting experience to be in a class with 38 kids. I loved seeing children everywhere I went on the street, and everyone is Jewish. I felt so comfortable to walk around with my tzitzis out and to just be a frum boy, one of a million more.
  I think about what my parents told me before I left for the month. That I would learn a lot and make new friends. Although it was a bit scary, I am so glad that I was able to go. And even though I do not want to actually leave home, I can still say with honesty, that I miss my month there.