May 29, 2011

I Will Miss You

Image: http://blackandmarriedwithkids.com/

Known to the world as the Curious Jew, to me she is just Chana.
The woman who embodies life at its fullest.
I came to college barely knowing one other person. I introduced myself to her in the elevator.
I knew she was cool. She was editor-in-chief of the Observer, she was one of the bravest people I had met.
She tackled the most taboo and unspoken issues in the Orthodox Community while she was editor.
She spoke and wrote with such beauty and integrity about eating disorders, sexual abuse, mental illness,  and homosexuality.
I would sit in class waiting to hear her brilliant comments and analysis of what was being studied.
I would spend my Shabbat afternoons reading a book, at the same time that she sat beside me and finished three large books and had what to say on each one.
Chana embraced me, enveloped me in her circle of friends which consisted of the most interesting personas Yeshiva University had to offer. I met some of my best friends through her, and had some of the most fascinating intellectual conversations with people from her "club" late into the night on all topics under the sun.
Chana would drag me out of my room after a break-up and made sure we did something fun together. Chana took me out for coffee so that we could discuss Rabbi Yaakov Yechiel Weinberg and his role in Orthodoxy.
I value our friendship tremendously.
Chana graduated, moved on. And I missed her. The entire college missed her.
Chana represented Modern Orthodoxy to me at its best. Then she got engaged. To a hassid.
(more on her blog).
Chana has taught me that anything is possible.

But now she is leaving. And it will be hard for me. I have a severe case of separation anxiety from almost person. The bigger the separation the harder it is for me.

Chana, as you leave us far behind
Have no fear, we aren't blind
We'll read your blog with thorough care
Our Curious Jew, no longer here