Jul 19, 2011

The Plain Truth

Image: http://cog-ff.com



It was a hot day. The conference had just ended and I was exhausted. My jacket was smothering me. I needed to breathe some fresh air. I had no plans for the evening so I decided to take my time. Instead of walking on the streets, I entered Central park hoping to emerge on the other side.

I followed the paths intertwined with ponds, trees. I lost myself in the heat, the vastness of the clear blue sky, the statues, the yoga classes taking place somewhere in the distance.
It did not take long for me to realize I didn’t know where I was.

I kept on wondering through the park the shirt glued to my back. I was exhausted from the heat, from the day, from it all. I put one foot in front of the other, in the back of my head looking for an exit. For heavens sake, this wasn’t a forest I was lost in, but a regular park with people all over.

I took a double take when I saw him. Perhaps I was hallucinating in this desert called Central Park already. But no, there he was as real as ever. He was just as I remembered him, tall, slim, thoughtful. His dark eyes pierced the air in front of them.

My first thought was to run away, to walk in the opposite direction. Then I realized that it was my park as much as his and I couldn’t spend eternity running away. I had to take what life gave me.

He saw me. Our eyes met. I saw no hesitation on his face. No looking for escape. It seemed our paths would cross.
When we reached each other I nodded. “Hi,” he said and turned to walk with me. I didn’t feel like being polite. All the psychological shenanigans of being nice and not being vulnerable fell away. It was too late for that. I had already opened up and been consumed by the fire. All that was left was the simple truth.

“You hurt me.”  I stated. He didn’t respond. Somehow, his confident stride beside me made me feel reassured in some way.

I had no idea what the silence meant. “What is this?” I asked. “Why aren’t you saying anything? Why are you pretending as if nothing ever happened?”

I was so frustrated. “I am lost,” I blurted and burst out crying.
He asked me where I was headed and kindly walked me to the exit I was looking for.

I paused and looked at him expecting him to say something that would make it all better. It isn’t what you think it is, it was hard for me too, let’s try again, even I am sorry it was painful for you. But he said nothing.

I nodded and walked away.