Oct 28, 2010

Starbucks Venti Dates

Image: http://www.nydailynews.com/
In a small Starbucks on a quiet day in December, I was sitting with my Venti Latte working on some financial reports I had to submit that week. I was finding a hard time concentrating. Every so often, I would lift my head and browse the scenery around me. What I loved about Starbucks was that it was extremely reliable. No matter where you are, no matter what you do, you can rely for Starbucks to be there with that boring Beige wallpaper, the shot of caramel and the same size cups. Every time in my life I was tired of surprises and changes, every time that I desired stability, I would go to Starbucks to calm the storm within me.


At the table across from me was a lovely girl. She looked exactly like my sister. She had long black hair that looked like it was recently cut short. She was studying intently. She was focusing. Therefore, she did not see that I was staring at her. After about two minutes, someone passed by, coughed and winked at me. I snapped out of my stare. I did not know what came over me. I did not do this. This was not me.

I itched my chin; I did not shave that morning so there was some stubble, but it looked cute. I had to get back to my work. I wrote numbers down one after the other but every few minutes I could not help but look at the beauty across from me.

And then it happened. She looked up. Her eyes met mine. She had eyes that were as sharp as an eagles. Our eyes locked for a moment and then she got back to work. I saw her smiling.

I came over to her. I asked her for her name. We chatted. I asked if she would mind giving me her number. She looked for a paper, tore one off from her sheet. She scribbled down a number. I could not believe I was doing this. I thanked her, packed up my stuff and walked out of Starbucks. I would have to take care elsewhere.

I waited a day so as not to seem anxious, but truth be told I could not get her out of my mind. At eight seventeen PM I dialed the number. I stood by the mirror trying out different voices. I had to sound cool and mature at the same time.

The phone was ringing. I heard a female voice. "Kathy?" I asked.
--Yes?--she replied.
My voice was shaking. Shoot. I grabbed the door handle and took a breath.
--Um, I am calling to see if you would like to have coffee with me?
--Starbucks?--she laughed.
I chuckled. Good one.
--We set a time and place and hung up the phone.

I put on a sweater. This time I shaved. I put some aftershave in my hands and slapped my cheeks with it. My face burnt, that is how close my shave was. I was wearing a pair of dark slacks and loafers.

I sat at the designated spot. Kathy was nowhere to be found. About fifteen minutes later, a middle-aged woman who had been sitting by the window looking out approached me.
--Are you Bill?-- she asked.
Her voice sounded familiar.
--Yes?
--Hi,- she said and stretched her arm out.--I am Kathy. I was not expecting you to look so young.
I sat there in silence keeping my jaw from dropping. Somehow I took her hand.
I bought her a coffee. I think she had a nice time. Next time I was going to take out women within two decades of my age. That was for sure.

That girl. No wonder I never asked girls for numbers before. I would never do it again.