May 8, 2011

Leora, This one is for you

Image: http://thebokenonline.com/


I was going to write about a funny shidduch story.
But then I remembered all those people who scream at me that all I write about is sidduchim shidduchim and shidduchim.
So instead I will write on careers.

I became buddies with a shuttle driver, Row. That can happen when you spend your life shuttling between the two polar opposite sides of the Heights on a daily basis.
Row told me how tired he was of driving the shuttle up and down Bennett avenue and watch shidduchim happen (I made that part up). "I am ready to build my career", he told me. "I am going to work for the NJ Transit. I have my interview tomorrow, I got my suit pressed and all'o that stuff."

I was taken aback by my naivete. Why had I never thought of becoming a bus driver as a career opportunity? Is this where the nature/nurture comes in?

Every community has certain values, certain measures for success, and sometimes... they are far apart.