Jun 6, 2011

Break Even





Take a relationship that did not last that long.
Let us say I went out with this guy three four times and it ended.
I could have even gone out once or twice and it did not work out.
And then it is over and people think there is no emotional investment, it was quick and clean.

And I know that objectively, it was not a "relationship"
And I know that somewhere down the road if someone asks about me he will say:
"Oh yeah, great girl, we went out a couple of times..."
And that is fine, and I've done it to others and it happens.

But somewhere deep down for me it was different.
Maybe for me it wasn't just an in and out.
Maybe for me, I felt a connection, I felt like there was something there.
Maybe for me the fact that the dating period was short doesn't negate the fact that there was potential which was never realized.

In the movie "You've Got Mail" Joe Fox puts Kathleen Kelly out of business by building a huge store across from her little cozy bookshop. He chats with her and tells her that that is business and it isn't personal.
Kathleen bursts into tears and screams.
"When you say "It isn't personal" all you are saying is that it isn't personal to you. It might be very personal to me!"

And I say: This might have meant something to me! Don't discount my feelings.

It is hard to know that you mean nothing to someone who meant something to you. As the Script put it:

Our hearts don't break even...
I'm hung up while you're ok

And as Coldplay sing in the scientist:

Nobody said it was easy...
Nobody said it would be this hard...

Only someone who has been through this can truly understand.