Aug 25, 2011

Never Make Me Plan a Date Again




Image: http://us.cdn1.123rf.com

Riddle

Question: You know what's worse than a date that is dead upon arrival?
Answer: A phone call before the date which is dead BEFORE arrival.

I got a phone call recently from a young man to plan a date. And as you can probably imagine from my previous posts, I hate it when the first conversations drag on and on and on.
The guy sounded like he had no idea of what he was doing.
As if it is so hard to say. Hey, this is so-and-so calling. I was wondering what your schedule is like/ Hey, would you like to chat over a cup of coffee.

But no, this guy wanted to torture me. So he ummed, hummed for about five minutes without actually formulating a single coherent question. And then my patience ended.
When would you like to go out?- I pressed.
He told me when and then he said ever so sweetly:
"I am new here, so I don't know where to go."
I was so shocked, so I proposed an idea for a date.

When I hung up the phone, I was so annoyed at myself.
For Goodness Sake, I do not live in Idaho or Oklahoma.... I live in NEW YORK CITY.
Use Google, call a friend, figure it out! Don't tell a girl you have no idea what to do.

I replayed the phone scenario over in my head so many times trying to find an appropriate way to tell a guy that it isn't my responsibility.
I probably should have said: "I am sure that by the time we will meet, you'll be able to figure something out."

He met me for the date and said: "Where are we going?"
I started walking while inside I was simply fuming.

Somewhere in the middle of the date, he looked at me and said: "Good choice."
I felt like hitting him with a frying pan.

Now please don't get me wrong. I am not a female chauvinist who thinks men should control everything. Ideally a man should tell the woman what he is thinking of in terms of date ideas and ask her what she thinks, because that way there is room for her to offer an idea or to tweak something, but the man still assumes responsibility for his role.