Sep 20, 2011

Getting Doors on Dates

Image: http://content.artofmanliness.com/


Thanks to Anon for commenting on the previous post, you inspired me to write more on the topic of guys opening doors for women. I think you are a jerk.

Do you think a man (or woman for that matter) should hold the door for a date? In a car, store, etc....

Okay, so I'll admit it. In the past few years, I've gone through a major paradigm shift on the issue of men holding doors for women.

When I just started dating, the feminist in me couldn't contemplate how a guy could open a door for a girl. Oh My Lord. How humiliating.

1) I remember the first guy I went out with. When he would open the door for me, I would freak out that this is an equivalent of prostitution.
Why is he opening the door?
Does he think I am mentally incapacitated?
Why is he paying?
What does he want from me?
Only one thing?
Gross!

2) A guy once approached a female friend of mine with a cup of coffee.
She threw the coffee in his face.
I should buy him coffee! Why is he buying it for me?
I had to calm her down by explaining that the only reason he bought her coffee is because he is European and he just doesn't know that this type of thing is done in America.


Over time though, and after dating some awful guys and meeting some great ones, the feminist within me died, and the feminine within me was born.

And frankly, now I love it when a guy gets the door.
It gives off the impression that he knows what he is doing and that he is a gentleman.


Now that being said, there are ways to open to open doors and then there are ways to do that.

1) Guys: Don't open the door to the car and then watch the girl struggling to get in with creepy eyes. Not okay.
Open the door and go take a seat yourself.
Alternatively, open the door, and face the street while she gets in, then close it.

2) If you open the door, leave it close enough so that the woman can close it without climbing out of the car again. Kind of counterproductive.

Okay. I went out with this guy and he didn't open the door for me.
Apparently, someone told him that he is supposed to open the door.
So there we are on the second date approaching the car, and he ever so beautifully swings the car door open and bows his head towards me.
I think that is the most adorable thing ever. I start smiling from ear to ear and get into the car.
As I am waiting for him to close the door, I realize he is nowhere to be found.
He went to sit down himself.
Gosh, I had to step out of the car to close the door.


Opening the door is important because a man shows a woman that he will TAKE CARE of her. That he will respect her. When she will be busy carrying his baby and growing exponentially to create his offspring, he will appreciate it.

And after all, that is what we want. Don't we, ladies?