Jan 3, 2012

When Love Fizzles Out

Image: http://i.dailymail.co.uk



Get married before the relationship fizzles out.


When I was going out with a certain individual and we got to the point where we were introducing each other to friends and family (hint hint getting serious) an older relative of mine met us and chatted us up as a couple for awhile.

Finally, after assessing us for all we are worth, he took me to the corner and said the following:
“I could see there is potential, so make sure to get engaged and married before the relationship fizzles out.”

Now I was standing there dumbfounded, not knowing exactly how to respond to the order I just received from the self proclaimed general Eisenhower to get married as soon as possible. 

It took me a few days to realize why I was unhappy with what he told me. 
Despite his best wishes, my relative was telling me that the relationship was bound to fall apart, and I must make sure that it falls apart after I am married and trapped.

I was furious. If the relationship will fizzle out, let it fizzle out before we commit, let us both be free.

The relationship did fizzle out, and I am still here and still single writing this blog. 

Do all relationships fizzle out eventually? If people dated for a long enough time, would no one ever get married?

I guess it might depend on a persons objective.

1) If a person wants to get married, then definitely, go ahead and marry fast before anything disastrous can happen. 

2) If the objective is to find a person you can truly live with and lead the life of your dream with, then I would imagine waiting might be worth your while, even though the path is fraught with uncertainty.