Aug 24, 2011

I Can't Go The Distance





Image: http://thefilmstage.com/


What do you think of long distance relationships? Can they work? What should the criteria be?

First I will relate three short stories which happened in the past year about long distance relationships from my life, and then, if necessary, I will provide my thoughts on the matter.

1)      I went out with a guy for six months long distance and got engaged. At some point I realized that I have no idea who this person is and it was over.
2)      A friend of mine dated for five months long distance. Also got engaged, a few months later, the engagement was broken.
3)      A friend of mine dated someone long distance for three years, got engaged. And you guessed right, broke the engagement.

All of the above flew to see each other almost every month, frequent phone, chat and skype discussions… you name it.

The reason long-distance relationships are doomed from the start is because people in a relationship have to be a part of each others’ life. See how they interact with their surroundings, what they do on a day to day basis…
There is a need for each member of the couple to naturally integrate into each others lives and couple-hood.
When one person drops his/her life to visit the other person, the time they spend together is disconnected from reality for both people.
Therefore, building a real relationship in a virtual setting is nearly impossible.