Sep 9, 2011

Self-Conscious Dating: Picking Teeth


Image: http://www.clipartguide.com



“I looked around to see
If she looked around to see
If I looked around to look at her”


I experienced this one firsthand a few times, and from conversations I had, I assume many people go through this thrilling routine with dating.

I’ll write in first person. It’s easier to read that way.

So I am sitting there with a person trying to make sense of the conversation happening between us, when he starts picking at his teeth. I can’t figure out if he has something stuck in his teeth and is trying to get it out or if he sees something in my teeth and is trying to hint to me by picking at his own teeth.

I start freaking out and self-consciously touch my teeth. The guy doesn’t know if it is me or him, and he resumes picking teeth. I see him doing it and the circle goes on and on….