Oct 3, 2011

Asking Out Directly

Image: http://budget.heelsaboveweddings.com

Anyone out there who prefers to be asked out directly or do most people prefer to go through the shadchan?

I understand that the way one views this subject is dependent on one's surroundings and accepted social norms.

As you probably assumed, I am all for speaking directly.

All for asking out directly. All for being honest to yourself and each other and all for expressing that. Following that logic, I am also all for ending relationships directly.

That being said, asking someone out directly can be uncomfortable and sometimes, when you would want to say no, you end up saying yes, just because the question was asked directly, and you couldn't resist.

I am guilty as charged, for I have said yes at times when I wanted to say no. I didn't have it in me to reject upfront.

And as the previous post suggests, any type of rejection is unpleasant, no matter how tactfully it is done.

I once went out with a guy, who told me that he wanted to dump me over the phone, but he knows [from MY BLOG!!!] that I prefer to be dumped in person, so he dumped me then and there.

...Um... Thank you? Yeah, interesting situation.

For the most part, I believe that we were created as humans and we should interact in a human way. 
People should figure out how to communicate directly. If dating isn't the perfect arena to practice, what is?