Oct 9, 2011

Choose: Life or Dating

Image: http://mykoreanboyfriend.com


I am not the biggest fan of long distance relationships.

This guy was suggested to me and on paper there were many things we had in common....
one of them being the fact that he was international.

With every plus comes a minus, and in this case, the guy lived out-of-town. Not crazy out-of town, two hour flight, still in the US out of town.

Anyhow, after much thought and deliberation, and despite my philosophies on long-distance-relationships, I agree to a first date.

He calls me to set  a time. I thought he called me to set a time. He thought he called me to chat.
It is kind of annoying when I have in mind a three and a half minute conversation and he just goes on with his planned one-hour want-to-get-to-know-your-voice type of conversation.

Not to be rude, I answer all his questions, throw some back at him.... After an hour of pointless chitchat, I realized that if I don't make a move, I might find myself seventy years from now sitting in the same spot with rotting teeth, a cane and wrinkles, talking to this guy about nothing.

"So what's the deal?" I asked.

Ah, just the question he was waiting for.

"So actually, it's complicated. Because I just got a promotion at my job and am moving to the far East for three months."

"Far East?" I ask, dumbfounded. "As in Japan or China?"

"I am not aware of some other Far East."

:"Um..." I try to sound casual. "So how do you expect dating to work."

"Well, I could come in for a weekend. And then we could skype for three months."

"Skype for three months. Sounds exciting. I'll keep my eyes open for someone who needs a skype buddy."


The shadchan couldn't understand what was wrong with me when I told her that I didn't think this would work at this point in my life.

Now please don't get me wrong. I am all for pursuing successful careers.

However, if marriage is a priority, then you have one of two choices:

1) Settle with marriage. Marry anyone who will say yes to you. And then move to whichever country in the world you so desire.


2) Look for a job in a place where the population of eligible spouses is larger than 2.3!!!

If you want to wait for three months and not date anyone, also totally fine and understandable.

But don't think you can eat your cake and have it too.