Jan 10, 2012

Put Together

Image: http://www.cartoonstock.com

We were sitting in his car. It was dark outside for awhile. Somehow, the night had a magic of its own and I felt safe and cradled in the front seat. He was looking at me. He was waiting for me to speak. This was a first date. But the shadchan wasn't going to be involved. I had to do this on my own.
I braced myself.
"I had fun with you," I said, "But I know you only date for Tachlis, so although I'd be happy to spend more time with you, I would hate to waste your time because in terms of marriage we aren't going to work out."
God, this was harder than I thought. He looked like someone just punched him.
"Why?" He asked. "I think we could work as a couple. I think you are smart, funny and put together."
Put together? After I heard those words, any chance there was of me being coerced into another date was over.
Put together is something you say about a seventy year old lady who is kind of cute when she wears those suits where the print on the jacket matches the skirt. Not about a twenty one year old young woman.
Perhaps he didn't want to be inappropriate, I don't know. I think he shouldn't have commented at all then.
If you are commenting on looks then go all the way.
Don't stop at put together.
How do other people feel out there about comments regarding the physical nature of the person on a first date?