Sep 26, 2011

Bumping Into Friends on Dates

Image: http://www.cartoonstock.com




Does anyone know what the proper social etiquette is on a date? 
Do you greet the friend... Do you wait for them to initiate?

1) You are on a date and see a friend on a date...

You either:
1) Pretend you don't recognize your friend
2) Mumble some quick greetings and go on with your date
3) Introduce your date to friend and vice versa and practically start to double date
4) Ditch your date and go off on some random tangent with your friend.

*You can vote on the top right corner.


2) You are alone, (i.e. not on a date) and see a friend on a date, do you greet each other?

I was walking in Central Park with a friend when I saw an old friend of mine crossing the street. I was so excited. I shrieked (like in the Blue Fringe song) and gave her a huge hug.
She whispered in my ear. I love you girl but this guy to my right is my date.
We reconnected later.

3) You are on a date and see a not-on-a-date-friend, do you say anything?


You see the hesitation in their eyes... should they approach... should they not? Do you encourage them?

I was once on a date, where the date's friend walked over to him and got into a serious discussion. I was nervous that I was in the way. After the friend finally left, my date said: "I am surprised he didn't sit down with us."


In the end of the day it comes down to how comfortable you are in your own skin and standing next to the person you are dating and how well you know the person you are bumping into.

You can never go wrong with a smile and nod of the head.