Oct 25, 2011

It's About Me Being Alone When He Isn't



I went out with a guy who was ten years older than me.
When it ended I looked into his eyes and what went through my mind was:
I'm young. I'm fine now.
The problem is that I don't want to be you ten years from now.
I don't want to be going on endless first dates when I am thirty.

Adelle gives an interview about a song she wrote which hits to the core of my point.
I changed a few words slightly, but the essence of her statement is below and her song is above.


"Someone Like You is the last song on the record.
When I was writing it I was pretty miserable and lonely which contradicts Rolling in the Deep where I’m like “I’m going to be fine without you."
In this song I am on my knees.

That relationship which is summed up in Someone Like You has really changed me, made me into who I am today.
I am sure there will be another relationship, well I hope so anyway, which will change and define me as well.

I can imagine being about forty and looking for him again and turning up and he is settled and he’s got a beautiful wife and some beautiful kids and I’m still on my own… it’s kind of about that."


I might be fine now, but I want to be somewhere else ten years from now.